Buying a residential property in Victoria?
We’ll review any*# residential contract of sale and vendor statement (section 32) for free in 2-3 business days.
* Except for old general law, company share stratum title and retirement villages.
# You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident. We don’t act for superannuation funds.
We are a law firm, not a conveyancing company. A lawyer of over ten years’ experience will review your contract and vendor statement.
We are a digital law firm: everything is done via phone, email and post – we don’t meet in person.
How does it work?
1. Find a property that you love and would like to buy.
2. Send us an email and attach the vendor statement (section 32) and contract of sale (if the contract is available). Please include your mobile phone number in your email and let us know if anyone referred you to us.
3. We’ll review the documents you have sent us within 3 business days. Then we’ll SMS you to let you know when we are ready to have a chat, so we can arrange a mutually convenient time. We don’t provide written reports, but we will email you the text for any special conditions that may need to go into your offer (such as subject to a building and pest inspection).
4. If you buy the property, we will ask you for more personal details and then invoice you for half of our professional fee for conveyancing + estimated out-of-pocket costs (see How much does it cost below). Any funds that aren’t used stay in our audited solicitor trust account and are credited to you when our final invoice is issued, which is about a week before settlement (whenever that is). Please note that we will not review your mortgage documents; we do not issue solicitor certificates or review mortgage / guarantor documents. And we don’t review building contracts – only the land purchase contract.
5. If you don’t buy the property, there is no charge for our work reviewing the contract#. And we’d be happy to review another contract for another property too, no problem. We don’t have a formal cap on how many contracts we’ll look at, but in fairness to other clients, we can only look at one contract/vendor statement for a client at a time.
How much does it cost?
$895.00 + GST (our professional fee for conveyancing) plus out-of-pocket disbursement costs, ranging from $200-$500 + GST depending on the type of property you wish to buy.
These costs include property searches and certificates, Express Post, settlement agent fees – any third-party costs we incur on your behalf. Off-the-plan properties are usually $200.00 + GST, houses are usually $300.00 + GST and apartments/units with active Owners Corporations (body corporates) are usually $400 + GST, or $500 + GST if there is more than one active Owners Corporation.
We will confirm which out-of-pocket costs rate applies to your property. We don’t charge for faxes, phone calls and other greedy things.
~Note: the above excludes the $49.00 per person Verification of Identity fee payable to ZipID, as part of the compulsory identity check process that all people transacting with the Land Titles Office must undertake.
# Note: if you sign a contract we have reviewed, but later terminate the contract (e.g. because you can’t obtain finance, or because it failed a building and pest inspection), then half of our professional fee + GST will be payable (no out-of-pocket costs applicable).
- Caveats, default notices and licence agreements each attract additional fees.
- If you are buying multiple lots at once, please contact us to obtain a personalised quote.
We carry full professional indemnity insurance and operate an audited solicitor trust account.